November 1, 2003
November 1, 2003
After her parents die of cholera, Mary Lennox, a difficult and sickly little girl, is brought from India to her mysterious uncle's sprawling estate on the Yorkshire moors. Mary continues in her self-absorbed ways until one day she discovers a hidden and neglected garden adjoining her uncle's mansion. When she meets Ben Weatherstaff, a curt but gentle gardener, and discovers her hidden-away invalid cousin, Colin Craven, the three come together to tend the garden, and Mary's life - as well as the lives of those around her - begins to change in unforeseen ways.
This Modern Library Paperback Classic is set from the text of the first American edition published in 1911.
Since its original publication in 1911, this wonderful classic has entranced generations of children with an evergreen mix of orphans, adversity, and a brilliantly honest characterization of children. Nine-year-old Mary Lennox's transformation from a petulant, spoiled child to care-free lass on the moors of England opens as the girl finds herself suddenly orphaned in India. Sent to live with her self-absorbed uncle on his huge estate in Yorkshire, Mary is charmed against her will by the cheerful Dickon, a boy who can charm wild animals. She also discovers Colin, the hidden invalid son of her uncle, who is just as spoiled as she. After Mary finds an intriguing walled garden that had not been taken care of for 10 years, the children immerse themselves in secretly tending it, and through the joy of nurturing living things, grow in health and good spirits themselves.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Action + Thrillers, People + Places / Europe, Social Issues / Special Needs, Classics, General, Nature + the Natural World / General, Family / Orphans + Foster Homes, Literary Genres + Types of Novels
- Language: English
- Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Online Item #: 11761747
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-20-2488
- ISBN: 9780812969986
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported