October 1, 2004
October 1, 2004
A ten-year-old orphan comes to live in a lonely house on the Yorkshire moors where she discovers an invalid cousin and the mysteries of a locked garden.
Since its original publication in 1911, this wonderful classic has entranced generations of children with an evergreen mix of orphans, adversity, and a brilliantly honest characterization of children. Nine-year-old Mary Lennox's transformation from a petulant, spoiled child to care-free lass on the moors of England opens as the girl finds herself suddenly orphaned in India. Sent to live with her self-absorbed uncle on his huge estate in Yorkshire, Mary is charmed against her will by the cheerful Dickon, a boy who can charm wild animals. She also discovers Colin, the hidden invalid son of her uncle, who is just as spoiled as she. After Mary finds an intriguing walled garden that had not been taken care of for 10 years, the children immerse themselves in secretly tending it, and through the joy of nurturing living things, grow in health and good spirits themselves.
Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres, Juvenile Fiction
Sub-Genre: People + Places / Europe, Family / Orphans + Foster Homes, General, Nature + the Natural World / General, Classics, Social Issues / Special Needs
- Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Social Issues / Special Needs, Classics, Nature + the Natural World / General, General, Family / Orphans + Foster Homes, People + Places / Europe
- Age: 9-12 years
- Publisher: Sterling Pub Co, Inc.
- Pages: 241
- Language: English
- Release Date: October 1, 2004
- Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Illustrator: Scott McKowen
- Online Item #: 11795484
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 247-02-1991
- ISBN: 9781402714597
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported