April 28, 2009
April 28, 2009
Recording the events of her life from a mental hospital as her hundredth birthday approaches, Roseanne McNulty considers returning to society when she learns that the hospital is about to close.
Those familiar with the Irish poet, novelist, and playwright Sebastian Barry will recognize many of the characters and families in THE SECRET SCRIPTURE since his work frequently revolves around offshoots of the Dunnes, a Protestant Irish family profoundly impacted by the Irish Revolution. However, the reader need not know the background to appreciate the lyric haunting beauty of this novel, set mostly in an insane asylum where Roseanne Dunne has been locked away, forgotten, lost in dark memories of history and romance gone awry. The drama emerges as a psychiatrist, Dr. Grene, uncovers her story, and begins to unearth her secrets. A layered, poetic, and luminous work, THE SECRET SCRIPTURE was short-listed for the Man Booker Prize in 2008.
- Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Health + Daily Living / General, Literary, Stages of Life, Politics, Peoples + Cultures, Conflicts + Dualities, Settings, General, Types of Characters, Literary Genres + Types of Novels
- Language: English
- Author: Sebastian Barry
- Online Item #: 11481749
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-04-6503
- ISBN: 9780143115694
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported