June 24, 2010
June 24, 2010
A sequence of tales chronicling the early 20th-century lives of New Brunswick sisters Idella and Avis Hillock includes "Gone," an account of their mother's heartbreaking childbirth crisis and the Pushcart Prize-nominated "Wake," in which they attend their wild father's funeral. Simultaneous.
In a series of immaculately crafted short stories, Beverly Jensen charts the lives of sisters Idella and Avis as they grow up in rural Canada and then later flee to the United States seeking love and larger lives. Filled with subtle folk wisdom and populated with an unforgettable cast of characters, SISTERS FROM HARDSCRABBLE BAY unfolds with the unexpected naturalness and surprises of life. Author Beverly Jensen, a working mother who wrote in her free hours, died in 2003 from cancer, but her stories, championed by her family and by such literary luminaries as Stephen King and Joyce Carol Oates, should have a long and cherished existence in the minds of her readers.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Family + Friendship, General, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Peoples + Cultures, Society + Social Issues, Historical Fiction, Literary
- Edition: Unabridged
- Language: English
- Author: Beverly Jensen
- Narrator: Bernadette Dunne (Narrator)
- Online Item #: 12301801
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-43-8515
- ISBN: 9781441747907
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported