When disaster strikes, time is of the essence. The people who survive are those who know what to do... they have their earthquake kits packed, their travel essentials saved, their family prepared, and their cars gassed up and ready to go. Everyone wants to believe that they are that person-the one who would prevail whether they found themselves facing a tornado, an angry bear, or a revolution in a third-world country. Filled with clear, concise instructions, helpful diagrams, essential checklists, and inspirational first-person stories, this book is a fascinating armchair read that might just save the reader's life. Sprinkled throughout are real-life "extreme survival" stories of amazing feats ("I Punched a Tiger in the Face!") that inform and entertain. Even if the most terrifying thing you've ever survived is a traffic jam on the 205, this book is a must-read.
This book will feature disaster survival scenarios in a number of international situations.
1. Situational Awareness Basics
2. What They Did Right: 9/11 Survival Stories, America's Heroes
3. Street Smarts: Stay Safe in the Big City
4. It Happened to Me: I Fought Off a Madman
5. Hand-to-Hand Combat Techniques
1. Wild Weather: What to Watch For
2. Terrifying Twisters: Survive a Tornado
3. By the Numbers: How Safe is Your City from Extreme Weather
4. When the Floodwaters Are Rising
5. Sandbag Essentials
1. Make It Through a Night in the Woods
2. Signal Rescuers the Right Way
3. What they Did Wrong: The Kim Family Tragedy
4. Basic Tracking Skills
5. By the Numbers: The Most Dangers Places on Earth
- Sports + Recreation
- Weldon Owen Reference, Inc.
- May 15, 2012
- May 15, 2012