June 1, 1990
June 1, 1990
The classical novel of court life in tenth and eleventh-century Japan centers on the life and loves of a nobleman known as the shining Genji, son of an emperor, and those of Kaoru, grandson of Genji's best friend
THE TALE OF GENJI, the world's first novel, was written around A.D. 1000 and has often been called Japan's greatest literary achievement. The author of this story of a Japanese prince and his many lovers was Shikibu Murasaki, the brilliant young governess to the Empress. The novel was read aloud at court and became wildly popular; its appeal has not abated in Japan, where it is still a good seller. Reminiscent of Jane Austen in its chronicling of the romantic trials of the young, it is also strongly feminist, and does not hesitate to protest the status of women at the time.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Westerns, Peoples + Cultures, Action + Thrillers, Love + Relationships + Sex, Politics, Types of Characters, Literary
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Murasaki Shikibu
- Online Item #: 11453568
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-02-7476
- ISBN: 9780679729532
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported