June 1, 2008
June 1, 2008
In order to convince his son to come home, Herbert Greenleaf, a rich shipbuilder, sends the suave con man Tom Ripley to Italy, but is unaware of his son's friend's criminal activities. Reprint.
When the young, occasional accountant and smalltime conman Tom Ripley is recruited by the wealthy Mr. Greenleaf to retrieve his son, Dickie, from Europe, he gets more than he bargained for. Desperately wanting approval and enchanted by the beauty of Dickie's life abroad--not to mention Dickie himself--Tom determines to be exactly like Dickie. Soon on a mission of obsession, Tom falls prey to the darkness inside him and stops at nothing--not even murder--to claim the life his admiring eyes have focused on. Patricia Highsmith's most famous work, and the first of a series of books to feature the amoral yet charming Mr. Ripley, was groundbreaking for the American crime genre by depicting a villainous antihero who readers root for as he gets away with murder. The book has been made into numerous films, most notably PURPLE NOON and THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY, with Alain Delon and Matt Damon, respectively, playing the devilish lead.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Mystery + Crime, Conflicts + Dualities, Family + Friendship, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Love + Relationships + Sex, Settings, Human Qualities + Behavior, Legal + Courtroom + Crime, Types of Characters, General, Society + Social Issues
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Patricia Highsmith
- Online Item #: 11722328
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-17-5598
- ISBN: 9780393332148
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported