June 1, 1999
June 1, 1999
Throughout the 20th century, prominent artists from Pablo Picasso to A. R. Penck have experimented with ceramics. The works they produced have complemented and often expanded upon their styles and techniques in painting and sculpture, but they have rarely been studied by art historians. Here for the first time are ceramic works by 23 European artists, all from the extensive collection of artists' pottery at the Museum Het Kruithuis in the Netherlands -- the only such collection in the world. Ceramics by Miro, Leger, Chagall, Braque, Dufy, and Cocteau are beautifully illustrated and discussed, as is the work of Karel Appel, Asger Jorn, and other members of the mid-century CoBrA movement, and that of contemporary artists such as Mimmo Paladino and Bruce McLean. Essays set the ceramics in context, and documentary photographs show the artists at work.
- Genre: Crafts + Hobbies, Art
- Subgenre: Pottery + Ceramics, European, Collections + Catalogs + Exhibitions
- Language: English
- Author: Janet Koplos , Max Borka , Willemijn Stokvis , Jos Poodt , Museum Voor Hedendaagse Kunst (S-Hertogenbosch Netherlands) , Netherlands) Museum Voor Hedendaagse Kunst ('S-Hertogenbosch
- Online Item #: 13984092
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-79-6431
- ISBN: 9780810963696
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported