May 31, 2005
May 31, 2005
Follows an English astronomer, an artilleryman, a country curate, and others as they struggle to survive and stop the invasion of Earth by Martians.
The book was written in two parts: "The Coming of the Martians", which details the Martians' landing and conquering; and "The Earth Under the Martians", which is a post-apocalyptic account of the Martians' reign and their subsequent vanquishing by microbes which they are unprepared for. Mars, and the possibility of life on it, had apparently intrigued Wells for some time. In an interesting aside, as Bernard Bergonzi notes in his "Early H. G. Wells", the author also had some fun writing scenes in which the aliens destroyed characters modeled on his neighbors. Adapted by Orson Welles and Howard Koch for the notorious 1938 Halloween radio broadcast, this story sent hundreds of frenzied families onto the highways in an attempt to escape the alien threat.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Science Fiction + Fantasy, Settings, Classics, Conflicts + Dualities, Society + Social Issues, General, Human Qualities + Behavior, Religion + Beliefs, War + Military
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: H. G. Wells , Patrick Parrinder
- Online Item #: 12197061
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-40-9260
- ISBN: 9780141441030
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported