May 17, 2010
May 17, 2010
David Freeman, the charismatic and renowned director of the Broughton Poetry Foundation, has always been more interested in his work than his family, and his daughter Katherine feels the wound of his neglect. Having abandoned her creative life as a dancer, muffled by motherhood and a conventional marriage, she embarks on an intense affair with a poet, one of her father's protã©gã©s. As she falls in love and her marriage starts to come apart, she begins to question the depth of the romance. Her emotional journey leads her back to the north of England where she was brought up, to her father, and to her younger self, the passionate dancer.
Powerful, wise, and beautifully written, The Whole Wide Beauty is an unforgettable debut novel about searching for fulfillment in love, art, and life.
Katherine, unhappy with abandoning her dancer life for a role as wife and mother, finds emotional release in a torrid affair with Stephen, a charismatic married poet, one of the many handsome proteges of her father, a man whose own marriage has become a hollow sham due to his confusion about his sexuality. Actress Emily Woof's debut novel explores troubled characters questioning the choices they have made in art and love.
- Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: General, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Arts + Entertainment, Biographical / General, Peoples + Cultures, Family + Friendship, Love + Relationships + Sex
- Publisher: W W Norton & Co Inc
- Pages: 250
- Language: English
- Author: Emily Woof
- Online Item #: 12290785
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 247-04-3387
- ISBN: 9780393076585
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported