December 29, 2009
December 29, 2009
A tale inspired by the life of Frank Lloyd Wright is presented from the perspectives of four very different women who loved him and offers insight into the eminent architect's enduring struggles against conventional boundaries.
As he did with Alfred Kinsey in THE INNER CIRCLE and John Harvey Kellogg in THE ROAD TO WELLVILLE, T.C. Boyle mines the biography of a monumental figure in American history, and transmutes it into a vivid novelistic portrait. In THE WOMEN, Boyle provides an alternate view of master architect Frank Lloyd Wright, seen through his turbulent relationships with four women who loved him at different times of his life--Olgivanna, a lithe beauty from Montenegro, Miriam, a vivacious, drug-addicted Southern belle, Mamah, his soul mate and true beloved, and his first wife Kitty, who remains forever faithful. The story of THE WOMEN is told by a man, Tadashi Sato, an apprentice of Wright, who relates the episodes in reverse chronological order. As Wright's ephemeral affections and tyrannical obsessions continually frustrate his love interests, his unconventional architectural visions, particularly his magnificent estate, Taliesin, emerge as the genuine loves of his life in this grand re-imagining of an artistic icon.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Literary, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Love + Relationships + Sex, Types of Characters, Work + the Workplace, Conflicts + Dualities, Human Qualities + Behavior
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: T. Coraghessan Boyle
- Online Item #: 11959679
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-29-3050
- ISBN: 9780143116479
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported