September 6, 2011
September 6, 2011
Dorothy, the Tin Woodman, Scarecrow, the Cowardly Lion and a host of other curious creatures come to life as they set out on an exciting quest down the Yellow Brick Road in search of the elusive Wizard.
Originally published in 1900 as THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ, and later under the title THE WIZARD OF OZ, L. Frank Baum's imaginative American fairy tale/fantasy has been a perennial favorite for over a century. Though there is academic debate about 1890s political references in the text, the adventures of Dorothy Gale and the creatures she meets are infinitely more entrancing to readers. This first volume in the 14-book Wizard of Oz series opens with a transformative tornado that hits Dorothy's small Kansas town and transports the girl and her pup, Toto, to the magical Land of Oz. Seeking a way back home, Dorothy sets out in search of the Wizard of Oz, who she hopes will be able to help. As she travels, Dorothy is joined by an intellect-hungry Scarecrow, a forlorn Tin Woodman, and a deeply funny Cowardly Lion. But one of the most famous children's literary villains of all time, the Wicked Witch of the West, threatens to keep the foursome from their goal. The traditional edition is accompanied by W.W. Denslow's incredible illustrations, but many artists have re-illustrated this American masterpiece.
- Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fiction + Literature Genres, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Classics, Action + Adventure / General, Romance, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Science Fiction + Fantasy
- Age: 9-12 years
- Edition: Unabridged
- Language: English
- Author: L. Frank Baum , Lyman Frank Baum
- Illustrator: Robert Ingpen , Robert R. Ingpen
- Online Item #: 13609375
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 247-06-3964
- ISBN: 9781402775468
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported