May 17, 2011
May 17, 2011
The depression of the 1930s led people to desperate measures to survive. The marathon dance craze, which flourished at that time, seemed a simple way for people to earn extra money - dancing the hours away for cash, for weeks at a time. But the underside of that craze was filled with a competition and violence unknown to most ballrooms.
Finding themselves unable to "make it" in Hollywood, would-be director Robert Syverten and would-be actress Gloria Beatty decide to enter a marathon dance. They're broke and unemployed, and the free meals provided by the dance organizers seem like a pretty good deal to the pair, to say nothing of the prize money--a thousand dollars. Along with more than a hundred other couples, "Couple 22" begin the grueling task of dancing 24 hours a day hoping to be the last couple standing. This noir classic, told within a framed narrative, is set during the Great Depression.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres
- Subgenre: Psychology, Types of Characters, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Arts + Entertainment, Classics
- Language: English
- Author: Horace McCoy
- Online Item #: 13440335
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-65-4642
- ISBN: 9781846687396
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported