August 1, 2002
August 1, 2002
In 1902, small-town Loring, Mississippi, is torn apart by the escalating rivalry between a black postmistress and the prodigal son of a fallen plantation family. By the author of The Oxygen Man.
Leighton Payne is unusual in early 20th-century Mississippi: he's a liberal who is not afraid to stand up for the rights of blacks. He's also the mayor of his small town, and editor of the newspaper. His brother Tandy, the family ne'er-do-well, tries to have a black woman named Loda Jackson ousted from her job as postmistress by spreading lies about her--because he wants her job. The conflict between the two brothers is a microcosm of the conflict between the town and the federal government, which makes the case into a civil rights issue.
Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes, Fiction + Literature Genres, Social Science
Sub-Genre: General, Types of Characters, Family + Friendship, Literary, Conflicts + Dualities, Sociology / General, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Society + Social Issues
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Genres, Social Science, Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Types of Characters, Literary, Conflicts + Dualities, General, Family + Friendship, Sociology / General, Literary Genres + Types of Novels, Society + Social Issues
- Publisher: Vintage Books
- Pages: 275
- Edition: Reprint
- Language: English
- Author: Steve Yarbrough
- Online Item #: 12207508
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-41-4331
- ISBN: 9780375725777
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported