November 22, 2010
November 1, 2010
Slave mistresses Lizzie, Reenie and Sweet travel to a resort in Ohio each year with their white masters, until Mawu shows up and encourages the three others to escape, forcing them to choose between freedom and leaving their friends and families--and the emotional and psychological ties that bind them to their masters. A first novel. (historical fiction).
In 1850s Tennessee, 13-year-old slave named Lizzie is taken on by the plantation owner as a sexual mistress, a practice common to the time. Lizzie's master even takes her along with him to a spa resort in "free" Ohio when the Southern summer heat becomes too much to bear. There, Lizzie meets two other young black women caught in a similar form of ******, and the three begin considering a break for freedom--an act that would mean abandoning everything in their life they know as home. A disturbing and engrossing historical novel, WENCH addresses many of the unspoken complexities and bizarre social permutations brought about by the atrocity of slavery.
- Genre: Fiction + Literature Themes
- Subgenre: Politics, Historical Fiction, Conflicts + Dualities, Love + Relationships + Sex, Family + Friendship, Types of Characters, Literary Genres + Types of Novels
- Edition: Large Print
- Language: English
- Author: Dolen Perkins-Valdez
- Online Item #: 13035110
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-56-5027
- ISBN: 9781410431790
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported