May 1, 1995
May 1, 1995
After moving from Chicago to Grand River, Michigan, fifth grader Yolonda, big and strong for her age, determines to prove that her younger brother is not a slow learner but a true musical genius.
Yolanda's widowed mother thinks Chicago is no place to raise her children so she moves the family to a small suburb in Michigan. Yolanda notices that her younger brother has trouble learning to read--all he likes to do is play the harmonica.
Convinced her brother is a musical genius, Yolanda tries to get her mother and other adults to recognize his talent. A warm portrayal of an African-American family and a sister's love and respect for her brother.
Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Sub-Genre: Performing Arts / General, People + Places / United States / African-American, Family / Siblings
- Genre: Juvenile Fiction
- Subgenre: Family / Siblings, People + Places / United States / African-American, Performing Arts / General
- Publisher: Margaret K McElderry
- Language: English
- Release Date: May 1, 1995
- Author: Carol Fenner
- Newbery Medal , Children's , 1996
- Online Item #: 12096991
- Store Item Number (DPCI): 248-36-2625
- ISBN: 9780689800016
- Item can be gift wrapped.
- Made in the USA or Imported