what you need
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 (16 ounce) package Simply Balanced Frozen Alaskan Cod Fillets, thawed as package directs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Dash pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup beer or non-alcoholic beer
- Heat oil in deep fryer for frying fish according to manufacturer’s instructions, or heat 1 1/2 inches oil in large heavy saucepan to 320°F.
- Combine 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and dash pepper in medium bowl.
- Whisk remaining flour, remaining salt, paprika and beer in medium bowl until smooth, adding additional beer 1 tablespoon at a time until desired thickness.
- Pat fillets dry; cut in half into 3-inch pieces. Toss in flour mixture to coat. Dip in batter; let excess drip off. Fry about 7 minutes, turning occasionally, until medium golden brown. Serve with fresh tartar sauce.
Make it your own by using your favorite craft beer.
To make your own fresh tartar sauce, mix 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 small sweet pickle (minced) and 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (minced) in a small bowl. You can also replace half the mayonnaise with plain yogurt, if desired.