fireside braised beef
what you need
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (14 ounce) package beef stew meat
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) package Del Monte Recipe Ready Mirepoix Soup Starter
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup brewed decaffeinated coffee
- In a large, heavy ovenproof saucepot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add mirepoix. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add smoked paprika and sugar and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and coffee. Bring to a boil, then cover, and reduce heat to simmer until meat is tender, about 45 minutes.
For freezing and reheating, completely cool the stew. Divide into individual portions in airtight containers and freeze for up to 2 weeks. Run the closed containers under hot water to release the block of stew from the container. Cover with a damp paper towel in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until hot, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.