jalapeno mac & cheese griddle cakes
what you need
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup milk (plus 3 tablespoons for pasta preparation)
- 2 eggs
- 5 shakes of hot sauce
- 2 jalapeño peppers, diced*
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 box Annie’s Macaroni & Cheese
- Butter for pan (plus 2 tablespoons for pasta preparation)
- *Remove the seeds and white membrane of the pepper to reduce heat.
- Prepare the Annie’s Macaroni & Cheese according to the directions on the box and set aside.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, onion powder, sugar, salt and pepper into a medium bowl.
- Whisk the milk, eggs and hot sauce together in a separate small bowl until combined. Add to the dry ingredients along with the peppers and cheese and Mix to combine. Fold in the macaroni and cheese.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Heat a small tab of butter (per batch of cakes) in a large skillet set to medium heat until melted. Ladle 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan per cake. Don’t overcrowd the pan with too many cakes and cook in batches.
- Cook the cakes until firm and golden brown on each side (about 2-3 minutes per side—should be cooked all the way through and not gooey). Keep first batches of cakes on a sheet pan in the oven to keep warm.
Pile on more flavor: try topping with pulled pork sauced with Annie’s Naturals Sweet n’ Spicy BBQ Sauce and Buttermilk Coleslaw—yum!