easy macaroon cookie nests
what you need
- 4 cups MOUNDS Sweetened Coconut Flakes, divided
- 1 pouch (17.5 ounces) BETTY CROCKER Sugar Cookie Mix
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh grated orange peel (optional)
- Green food color
- 1 can (16 ounces) BETTY CROCKER Vanilla Frosting
- CADBURY Mini Eggs
- Heat oven to 375°F. Tint coconut green following directions below; set aside.
- Stir together cookie Mix, butter, egg, orange peel and a few drops green food color. Mix in 2 cups tinted coconut. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in remaining tinted coconut; place on ungreased cookie sheet. With thumb press indentation into center of each cookie.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges of cookies are lightly browned. Cool slightly; repress indentation with end of wooden spoon. Remove cookies from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. Store in airtight container.
- Tint about 2/3 cup frosting with 2 to 3 drops green food color. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon frosting into each indentation. Fill each ‘nest’ with 2 to 3 candy eggs.
Easy coconut tinting: Combine 2 teaspoons water and several drops of food color in large bowl or large re-sealable plastic food storage bag. Add 4 cups coconut. Toss with fork or shake plastic bag until coconut is evenly coated.