red chile and pork tamale pie
what you need
- 1 (16 ounce) package corn bread mix, batter prepared according to package directions
- 10 dried guajillo or ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 2 cups hot water
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, seeds removed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups Apple Nestlé Juicy Juice 100% Juice
- 2 Maggi Chicken Flavor Bouillon Cubes, dissolved in 2 cups hot water
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- Place dried chiles in a blender. Add hot water; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add garlic, chipotle chiles, cinnamon, oregano and black pepper to blender; puree on high speed. Strain the sauce into a large enameled cast-iron casserole, pressing on the solids. Add Juicy Juice, bouillon mixture and pork to the casserole; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover partially; cook over low heat for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until pork is fork-tender.
- Transfer pork to a bowl using a slotted spoon; let cool slightly. Boil sauce about 20 minutes or until reduced to 4 cups.
- Shred the pork with 2 forks and return it to sauce. Cook, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until sauce is reduced and just coats pork.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spread half of prepared corn bread batter into bottom of an 8- or 10-inch cast iron skillet. Spread pork filling evenly over mix.
- Spoon remaining corn bread batter evenly on top of pork.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in corn bread comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve warm.