starlight mint sugar cookies
what you need
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Few drops red food coloring
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until blended. Beat in egg, milk and extract. Add flour and baking powder; beat on low until just combined.
- Remove half of dough; press into disc shape and wrap with plastic wrap. To remaining dough, add a few drops food coloring. Mix well. Flatten into disc and wrap. Refrigerate both at least 30 minutes.
- Place colored dough between 2 large sheets of plastic wrap; roll out to a 12x8-inch rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick. Repeat with plain dough. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap from both doughs. Invert plain dough onto red dough. Gently press and trim edges. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Starting with short side, roll up dough into spiral. Wrap tightly; freeze about 30 minutes or until very firm.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4-inch slices. On ungreased cookie sheet, Place slices 1 inch apart. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until set. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.
Wrap individually in cellophane and tie with ribbon for gift-giving.