Nutella-stuffed French toast
what you need
- 4 slices brioche, at least 2 inches thick (or cinnamon, cinnamon raisin, egg bread or whole wheat bread)
- 1/2 cup Nutella hazelnut spread
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh berries, variety
- Fruit preserves, optional
- Make a slit in sides of each slice of bread to make a pocket that can be filled.
- Pipe or spoon 2 tablespoons Nutella into center of each slice of bread through slit. Place on sheet pan, cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- In bowl, whisk eggs until smooth, then whisk in milk and vanilla; cover bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For each serving, pour egg batter into a flat dish, lay a filled slice of bread in egg batter and let soak. Turn and soak other side of sliced bread. Soaked bread should be slightly wet but not soggy or falling apart.
- Meanwhile, heat 2-3 tablespoons oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat; place batter-soaked slice of bread into hot skillet and cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side, turning once, until golden brown. Remove from skillet, place on sheet pan and bake in 325°F convection or 375°F conventional oven for 5-6 minutes or until heated through completely.
- To serve, top each golden, hot piece of stuffed French toast with 1/4 cup fresh berries. Serve immediately. Serve fruit preserves on side, if desired.
Pair with a glass of milk or orange juice for a well-balanced breakfast.