sweet and savory beef empanadas
what you need
- 1 1/2 cups Apple Nestle Juicy Juice 100% Juice
- 1 tablespoon Maggi Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound rib-eye steak, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles, drained
- 12 empanada wrappers
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Heat Juicy Juice in medium, microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute or until warm. Dissolve bouillon in warm juice. Pour into large bowl. Stir in onion, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Add beef to marinade. Massage the marinade with your hands into each slice of beef. Cover; refrigerate for 1 hour. Drain marinade, reserving meat and onion.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef in single layer for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until browned. Repeat with remaining slices of beef and onion. Finely chop cooked meat; place in a large bowl with onion. Mix in diced green chiles.
- Place 2 rounded tablespoons beef mixture in center of each wrapper. Fold edge over filling to form a half circle. Crimp edges to seal. Place on baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
To make beef easier to slice, freeze for 15 minutes and then slice.