- When it comes to creating lasting memories, it’s usually the little things: spending an evening drinking cocoa and reading holiday books, adding festive details to the kids’ bedrooms, or finding matching pajamas for the whole family to cozy up in together.
We decked out the house in simple but impactful ways that were easy to do in a single afternoon.
All that was required was a little creativity and a Target run to stock up on the season’s prettiest trimmings, yummiest sweets, and fresh decor to deck the halls.
- Making some time to create memories will make it a season to remember.
Give kid rooms a vibe
- Decking the kids’ rooms for the holidays is one of those activities that often gets pushed off my list. I’m so glad we did this year—Henry’s excitement was off the charts. It was as simple as topping the bed with a few festive throws and pillows, hanging a wreath, and propping a cute little faux tree next to the bed.
This cute countdown calendar has adorable little felt trinkets in each pocket (it does the work for you).
I’m supplementing ours with a tiny candy for each kid. Let’s be honest: the sweets are what they’re really excited about.
- Every evening when we tuck our kids in, the holiday vibes are major.
Put a tasty spin on the classics
This year, we put a brunch-y twist on the traditional Gingerbread House by making it out of waffles!
It was definitely my kids’ favorite activity of the year so far—endless sugar, and frosting-covered fingers!
Cozy up with books & cocoa
- For the ultimate fireside reading experience, you’ve got to have hot cocoa. In a pot on the stove, combine 4 C milk, 1/3 C sugar, 1/4 C cocoa powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp peppermint extract, and a pinch of salt. Stir until combined. Whisk until frothy and top with marshmallows and cinnamon sticks.
Make holiday movies an event
Some faves that top the list:
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- Home Alone
- Love Actually
- A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Miracle on 34th Street
- Make cups of peppermint hot chocolate and pop popcorn—or indulge in this chocolate-covered caramel corn.
- At our house, holiday movies are what really strike the holiday feelings in our hearts.
Swap feasts for cocktails with friends
Real talk: I’ve majorly missed our annual holiday parties…
That said, in my new resolution to keep things simple this season, I’m focusing on a cocktail-nibbles-and-drinks kind of gathering that keeps the prep time to a minimum.
- Cherished memories are some of the very best gifts we can give the people we love!
- For a festive spread, hit Target’s frozen aisles to put together a beautiful cocktail party menu with little effort.
There’s nothing like scent to evoke the warm fuzzies of the season.
I love to cozy up our house with those fragrances that make the whole house feel magical.
- Want to make the most of hosting?Check out our Holiday Gathering Guide ›