- Summer vacations to far-off locales may still be on hold for many of us, but if you’re like me, you’re feeling some major wanderlust.
And since this week feels like the official start of summer, I did the next best thing to booking a flight.
We cooked up a Spanish-inpsired, backyard dinner party to welcome the longer nights, and to give us a taste of adventure we’ve been craving.
Inspired by the colorful, exotic prints of the summer entertaining collection from Target, our family gathered around the table for sangria (for Adam and me) and festive sparkling waters (for P and H).
- We paired with Spanish-inspired bites that were easy enough for us to make together and still left plenty of time for jumping in the pool after dinner.
Set a Colorful, Carefree Table
- So, the kickoff to summer is the perfect excuse to set the table with festive dishes and make a menu worthy of a party! That said, summer is all about those carefree vibes, so embrace an unfussy approach to the table.
Here’s how I created this simple but special look:
- Start with a summery linen tablecloth, and place a few terrazzo citronella candles in the center (it’s truly the chicest way to keep mosquitos at bay).
- Add a few faux citrus branches and sturdy, colorful Opalhouse plates. These take “outdoor dinnerware” to new heights—I love that the addition of bamboo material really elevates the quality of these melamine plates, and the prints are so chic.
- A simple table lets your favorite pieces—and the delicious food—take center stage.
- I love using baskets like this round seagrass one and this utensil caddy to corral my flatware and glassware on the table—the chunky, woven texture feels fresh and summery. A smart use of baskets and trays can turn an otherwise cluttered setup into a chic, organized one—and it minimizes trips back and forth from the kitchen.
- Table’s all set. Now for menu ideas. ›
The Family That Swims Together…
Grab one of the insanely fun, inflatable pools from Sun Squad!
The simple act of adding a few new pool toys to the mix turns “just another summer night at home” into a full-blown pool party.
- This year, we added this Rainbow Blobz Water Slide to our collection, and it was a total hit. I also stocked up on water guns and goggles at an incredibly affordable price, which is handy since we always need extras for friends and family visiting.
- Our dinner table was out by the pool, so the kids could jump right in after eating—water balloons and frozen pops were the cherry on top that put us all in a summery state of mind.
- Scene is set. Now on to snacks & sips. ›