About this item
Simple, stress-free activities that promote physical and emotional well-being for Alzheimer's patients
Based on the author's four-year study and vast experience in Alzheimer's and dementia-related care, Alzheimer's Activities That Stimulate the Mind is the only book that offers appropriate activities for each of the four stages of the disease. Whether you're taking care of a loved one or working as a caregiver, Emilia C. Bazan-Salazar gives you easy-to-follow exercises that have been medically proven to enhance and maintain the cognitive abilities of persons living with Alzheimer's or dementia.
Featured in this authoritative, reassuring guide are hundreds of therapeutic exercises across an array of areas and disciplines--including arts and crafts, community outings, physical activity, religion and spirituality, grooming, gardening, music, and more--which have been designed to:
- Improve and maintain memory, motor skills, and hand-eye coordination
- Foster feelings of personal accomplishment and boost self-esteem
- Maintain social skills and increase participation in the community
- Tone muscles, improve circulation, limber up the body, and relieve tension
- Improve the quality of life and maintain the bond with your loved ones
You'll understand how and why each stage-appropriate activity works, and you'll see how to expand them or create your own activities to suit your unique situation. Most of all, you'll remain involved, more hopeful, and more bonded with those living with Alzheimer's as you help them once again experience the joy of performing the activities of daily living.