product description page
American Corrections : Concepts and Controversies - (Paperback)
About this item
American Corrections, Second Edition offers you a contemporary, issues-oriented introduction that covers every aspect of corrections, prompting you to think critically about complex issues that are affecting the current U.S. correctional system. Incorporating the most recent theory, research, and data available, the Second Edition encourages you to explore the most interesting and progressive developments in correctional policy and practice. Authors Barry A. Krisberg, Susan Marchionna, and Christopher J. Hartney draw from years of professional experience to give you a practical knowledge of corrections, as well as provide a framework for thoughtful analysis into what is plaguing the American correctional system and a realistic exploration of the solutions that could make a difference.
New to the Second Edition:
- Up-to-date coverage of today’s key issues reflects the latest developments in corrections, including the fiscal impact of corrections, reforms in corrections, and an expanded use of alternatives to incarceration.
- Debates around the effectiveness of corrections encourage you to think critically about probation, problem-solving courts, split sentences and flash incarceration, new recidivism studies, rates of racial and ethnic disparity in adult and juvenile corrections, and overrepresentation of youth of color in prisons.
- Recent trends are discussed to give you a clearer picture of how the correctional system has transformed over the years, including the decline in the practice of incarcerating juveniles in large prisons, the rising incarceration rate for women, the treatment of mentally ill inmates, the increase of private prisons, and more.
- Incisive exploration of policies proposed by the Trump administration shows you how the current administration’s approach differs from Obama-era sentencing reforms and encourages students to think critically about the potent impacts on the correctional system.
- New Spotlight boxes introduce you to key issues such as immigration and detention and the opioid addiction epidemic.
- Updated references, statistics, court rulings, and data help you understand the latest trends in correctional practices.