product description page
American Law and Legal Systems (Paperback) (James V. Calvi & Susan Coleman)
about this item
American Law and Legal Systems examines the philosophy of law within a political, social, and economic framework with great clarity and insight. Readers are introduced to operative legal concepts, everyday law practices, substantive procedures, and the intricacies of the American legal system. Eliminating confusing legalese, the authors skillfully explain the basics, from how a lawsuit is filed to the final appeal. This new edition provides essential updates to forensic and scientific evidence, contract law, family law, and includes new text boxes and tables to help students understand, remember, and apply central concepts.
New to the 8th Edition
- Updates the coverage of environmental law, especially in relation to climate change.
- Updates the coverage of family law, especially in relation to gay marriage and abortion rights.
- Includes new coverage of challenges to the Voting Rights Act, campaign finance, and cybersecurity.
- Covers the effects of social media on judicial procedure.
- Includes 16 new cases including Trump v. O’Brien.
- Adds new text boxes on intriguing subjects throughout.
- Accompanied by an author-written Instructor’s Manual that includes Learning Objectives, Chapter Summaries, Chapter Outlines, Key Terms and Concepts, as well as Test Questions for each chapter.