product description page
Android User Interface Design : Implementing Material Design for Developers (Paperback) (Ian G. Clifton)
About this item
Build Android Apps That Are Stunningly Attractive, Functional, and IntuitiveWhen Android was a new mobile operating system, most of the app developers were tinkerers at heart, curious what they could do with such a powerful and open platform. Early apps were focused on features or just getting branding out in the world. Years went by and the importance of good design grew rapidly.
Flash forward to June, 2014 when Google unveiled a preview of Material Design and Android 5.0 (called Android “L” at the time). It was the most radical visual change to Android in its fast-paced life. This new design ideology was backed with guidelines covering the visual appearance of Android apps but not all the steps to get to create a design nor the implementation details.
Now, leading Android developer and user experience (UX) advocate Ian G. Clifton shows how you can create a beautiful Android application with just a bit of development knowledge and no design experience. Learn the entire process of creating a stunning Android app from wireframes and flowcharts to a complete application with polished animations and advanced techniques such as PorterDuff compositing.
· Learn how Android has evolved to support outstanding app design
· Integrate app design with development, from idea to deployment
· Understand views, the building blocks of Android user interfaces
· Make the most of wireframes and conceptual prototypes
· Apply the User-Centered Design process throughout
· Gain knowledge about typography and iconography
· Use custom themes and styles for consistent visuals
· Create beautiful transition animations for a better UX
· Utilize advanced components like spans and image caches
· Work with the canvas, color filters, shaders, and image compositing
· Combine multiple views into custom components for efficiency and ease
· Develop fully custom views for unique drawing or interaction requirements
Whether you?ve just completed your first ?Hello, World? app or you?ve been developing Android apps for years, knowing how to implement good user interfaces and user experiences is more important than ever. Whether you have a team of designers or you?re developing your own app from scratch late into the night, this book will guide you through all the core design principles you need to know to make your apps amazing.
Android User Interface Design focuses on implementing beautiful Android design for developers. The goal is to help Android developers from relative beginners to experts ensure their apps look as good as possible by following best practices, creating custom components, and implementing advanced drawing techniques. The book first discusses Android UI and standard components, then focuses on the process of creating an app from concept to completion, and finally moves on to advanced techniques to really make an app stand out. It teaches some of the basics of graphic design but is more focused on implementation details and understanding the design process.