About this item
"This edition contains Larman's usual accurate and thoughtful writing. It is a very good book made even better."
--Alistair Cockburn, author, Writing Effective Use Cases and Surviving OO Projects "Too few people have a knack for explaining things. Fewer still have a handle on software analysis and design. Craig Larman has both."
--John Vlissides, author, Design Patterns and Pattern Hatching "People often ask me which is the best book to introduce them to the world of OO design. Ever since I came across it Applying UML and Patterns has been my unreserved choice."
--Martin Fowler, author, UML Distilled and Refactoring "This book makes learning UML enjoyable and pragmatic by incrementally introducing it as an intuitive language for specifying the artifacts of object analysis and design. It is a well written introduction to UML and object methods by an expert practitioner."
--Cris Kobryn, Chair of the UML Revision Task Force and UML 2.0 Working Group
- A brand new edition of the world's most admired introduction to object-oriented analysis and design with UML
- Fully updated for UML 2 and the latest iterative/agile practices
- Includes an all-new case study illustrating many of the book's key points
Applying UML and Patterns is the world's #1 business and college introduction to "thinking in objects"--and using that insight in real-world object-oriented analysis and design. Building on two widely acclaimed previous editions, Craig Larman has updated this book to fully reflect the new UML 2 standard, to help you master the art of object design, and to promote high-impact, iterative, and skillful agile modeling practices.
Developers and students will learn object-oriented analysis and design (OOA/D) through three iterations of two cohesive, start-to-finish case studies. These case studies incrementally introduce key skills, essential OO principles and patterns, UML notation, and best practices. You won't just learn UML diagrams--you'll learn how to apply UML in the context of OO software development.
Drawing on his unsurpassed experience as a mentor and consultant, Larman helps you understand evolutionary requirements and use cases, domain object modeling, responsibility-driven design, essential OO design, layered architectures, "Gang of Four" design patterns, GRASP, iterative methods, an agile approach to the Unified Process (UP), and much more. This edition's extensive improvements include
- A stronger focus on helping you master OOA/D through case studies that demonstrate key OO principles and patterns, while also applying the UML
- New coverage of UML 2, Agile Modeling, Test-Driven Development, and refactoring
- Many new tips on combining iterative and evolutionary development with OOA/D
- Updates for easier study, including new learning aids and graphics
- New college educator teaching resources
- Guidance on applying the UP in a light, agile spirit, complementary with other iterative methods such as XP and Scrum
- Techniques for applying the UML to documenting architectures
- A new chapter on evolutionary requirements, and much more
Applying UML and Patterns, Third Edition, is a lucid and practical introduction to thinking and designing with objects--and creating systems that are well crafted, robust, and maintainable.