product description page
Basic Optics : Principles and Concepts (Paperback) (Avijit Lahiri)
about this item
Basic Optics: Principles and Concepts addresses in thorough detail the science of optics and its related concepts. The book provides a lucid and coherent presentation of an extensive range of concepts from the field of optics, which is central to several allied areas of science including physics, chemistry, materials science, and biology.
With its multi-disciplinary range, the book’s content arms scientists and students across these disciplines with knowledge of the essential concepts of wave optics and ray optics. The book is composed of nine chapters and includes a great deal of traditional and current interest material. There is no currently available book with a comparable level of coverage that also captures the essential charm and magic of physics.
The science of optics has undergone major changes in the last fifty years due to developments in the areas of metamaterials, Fourier optics, statistical optics, quantum optics, and nonlinear optics. The book serves as a reference for graduate students pursuing optics as either a general or special subject. The book will also be of substantial use to researchers and teachers at the college and university levels.
- Provides extensive and thoroughly exhaustive coverage of classical and modern optics
- Offers a lucid presentation in understandable language, rendering the abstract and difficult concepts of physics in an easy, accessible way
- Develops all concepts from elementary levels to advanced stages
- Includes a sequential description of all needed mathematical tools
- Relates fundamental concepts to areas of current research interest