product description page
Basic Robot Building With Lego Mindstorms Nxt 2.0 (Paperback) (John Baichtal)
about this item
Basic Robot Building with LEGO® Mindstorms® NXT 2.0
ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED!
Learn LEGO® Mindstorms® NXT 2.0 from the ground up, hands-on, in full color!
Ever wanted to build a robot? Now’s the time, LEGO® Mindstorms® NXT 2.0 is the technology, and this is the book. You can do this, even if you’ve never built or programmed anything!
Don’t worry about where to begin: start right here. John Baichtal explains everything you need to know, one ridiculously simple step at a time… and shows you every key step with stunningly clear full-color photos! You won’t just learn concepts–you’ll put them to work in three start-to-finish projects, including three remarkable bots you can build right this minute, with zero knowledge of programming or robotics. It’s going to be simple–and it’s going to be fun. All you need is in thebox–and in this book!
- Unbox your LEGO® Mindstorms® NXT 2.0 set, and discover exactly what you’ve got
- Build a Backscratching Bot immediately
- Connect the NXT Intelligent Brick to your computer (Windows or Mac)
- Navigate the Brick’s menus and upload programs
- Start writing simple new programs–painlessly
- Build the Clothesline Cruiser, a robot that travels via rope
- Program your robot’s movements
- Learn to create stronger, tougher models
- Help your robot sense everything from distance and movement to sound and color
- Build a miniature tank-treaded robot that knows how to rebound
- Write smarter programs by creating your own programming blocks
- Discover what to learn next, and which additional parts you might want to buy
JOHN BAICHTAL is a contributor to MAKE magazine and Wired’s GeekDad blog. He is the co-author of The Cult of Lego (No Starch) and author of Hack This: 24 Incredible Hackerspace Projects from the DIY Movement (Que). Most recently he wrote Make: Lego and Arduino Projects for MAKE, collaborating with Adam Wolf and Matthew Beckler. He lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with his wife and three children.
Start building robots with LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT, fast! This gorgeous, full-color book shows off both the beauty and technical brilliance of LEGO Mindstorms NXT, and helps absolute beginners quickly gain true mastery through three start-to-finish, hands-on projects. You need ZERO knowledge of robotics and Mindstorms to succeed with this book: it painlessly covers everything you should know, whether you're a kid, a teenager, or a busy parent. John Baichtal guides you gently up the learning curve, gradually introducing new ideas and techniques, offering expert tips, and explaining every new term in plain English. Basic Robot Building with LEGO Mindstorms NXT covers both simple programming theory and LEGO building techniques, so it's the only book you'll need to get started. Coverage includes: unboxing LEGO Mindstorms NXT and walking through what's included; Building a "backscratching bot" immediately, with absolutely no programming; connecting the NXT Brick to your computer, uploading programs, and navigating menus; writing simple programs; building stronger models; using mesh gears; working with NXT's touch, ultrasonic, and light sensors; creating more complex programming structures such as loops and variables; expanding Mindstorms NXT with third-party products, and much more. Packed with stunning full-color photos, this is the easiest LEGO Mindstorms NXT book out there -- and the most fun!