product description page
Beyond Requirements : Analysis With an Agile Mindset (Paperback) (Kent J. Mcdonald)
About this item
InBeyond Requirements,Kent J. McDonald shows how to go beyond mere “requirements gathering and capture” to apply analysis with an agile mindset and to satisfy stakeholders by solvingthe right problems in the right ways. McDonald introduces successful techniques for understanding stakeholders’ needs, identifying the best solution for satisfying those needs in your context, and building a shared understanding of your solution that persists throughout development. He also teaches you how to iterate your analysis, taking advantage of what you learn throughout development, testing, and deployment.
First, McDonald discusses the agile mindset, reviews the key principles underlying it, and shows how these principles link to effective analysis. Next, he puts these principles to work in five wide-ranging case studies. Finally, he drills down on a full set of techniques for agile analysis, using examples to show how, why, and when they work.
- Core concepts for agile analysis: needs/solutions, outcome/output, discovery/delivery
- Adapting Lean Startup for analysis: customer delivery, build—measure—learn, and metrics
- Structuring decisions, recognizing differences between options and commitments, and overcoming cognitive biases
- Focusing on value: feature injection, minimum viable products, and minimum marketable features
- Understanding how analysis flows alongside your project’s lifecycle
- Analyzing users: mapping stakeholders, gauging commitment, and creating personas
- Understanding context: performing strategy (enterprise) analysis
- Clarifying needs: applying decision filters, assessing project opportunities, stating problems
- Investigating solutions: impact and story mapping, collaborative modeling, and acceptance criteria definition
- Visualizing your progress and understanding where each team fits in the overall project
Whether you’re a professional analyst or you perform analysis tasks as a developer, manager, or tester, McDonald’s techniques will help your team consistently find and deliver better solutions.
Beyond Requirements shows you how to employ business analysis practices and techniques to clarify problems, identify the best available solutions, and implement them. Going far beyond conventional business analysis, it draws upon disciplines ranging from agile methods to entrepreneurship -- helping you dramatically improve your value as a business problem-solver whether you carry the title of analyst or not.
Pioneering business analysis mentor, consultant, and trainer Kent J. McDonald focuses on when showing how to apply each available tool ? and when to integrate multiple tools to achieve even better results. McDonald shares new insights into both problem spaces and potential solutions, and helps analysts bring new agility to the evolving challenges of requirements development. Coverage includes:
* Staying focused on the guiding principles of value, collaboration, iteration, simplicity, context, and adaptability
* Making the most of stakeholder analysis, requirements modeling, and solution validation techniques
* Integrating newer techniques ranging form value-add activities to strategic barrier analysis
* Understanding the full problem lifecycle, including 3Cs (cost, competitors, customers); strategy formulation and implementation; and progress measurement