About this item
DISCOVER all the RED-HOT areas of biotechnology!
Encompassing everything from promising new drug therapies and experimental treatment of genetic disorders to potential pandemics and bioterrorist threats, biotechnology is one of the most talked-about and exciting branches of science. And there is no faster or more effective way to master all the essential subtopics within this emerging area.
Biotechnology Demystified lets you learn at your own comfortable pace. Coverage advances logically and smoothly, from the basics of molecular and cellular biology to more complex topics. In this unique guide, learning is continually reinforced and achievement demonstrated. Multiple-choice quizzes at the ends of chapters and a final exam help guide you to topic mastery -- without stress or anxiety.
This one-of-a-kind self-teaching text helps you:
- Understand molecules and the cellular basis of life -- how information flows within the cell... DNA replication and cell division... how cells interact with what's "outside"
- Explore essential experimental techniques in biotechnology -- the stuff of "CSI"
- Learn what's involved in cancer and the cell cycle... infectious diseases... immunology... genetic disease
- Find out what the Human Genome Project is, and what it's used for
- Understand the science and controversy surrounding reproductive cloning and genetically modified (GM) crops
- Keep up with the accelerating pace of new drug development
- Take a "final exam" and grade it yourself!
Simple enough for a beginner, but challenging enough for an advanced student, Biotechnology Demystified is a lively and entertaining guide to understanding a science that's making the news daily!