product description page
Birth Partner : A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions
About this item
Now in its fourth printing, The Birth Partner, 4th Edition is newly revised and updated. This is the definitive manual for any helpful companion at a birthing mother's bedside.
Since the original publication of The Birth Partner, partners, friends, relatives, and doulas (professional birth assistants) have relied on Penny Simkin's guidance in caring for the new mother, from her last trimester through the early postpartum period. Fully revised in its fourth edition, The Birth Partner remains the definitive guide for preparing to help a woman through childbirth and the essential manual to have at hand during the event.
This completely updated edition includes thorough information on:
- Preparing for labor and knowing when it has begun
- Normal labor and how to help the woman every step of the way
- Epidurals and other medications for labor
- Non-drug techniques for easing labor pain
- Cesarean birth and complications that may require it
- Breastfeeding and newborn care
And that is just a start. For the partner who wishes to be truly helpful in the birthing room, The Birth Partner, 4th Edition is indispensable.