product description page
Building Design, Construction and Performance in Tropical Climates (Paperback)
About this item
The design, construction and use of buildings in tropical climates pose specific challenges to built environment professionals. This text seeks to capture some of the key issues of technology and practice in the areas of building design, refurbishment, construction and facilities management in tropical regions.
Using a consistent chapter structure throughout, and incorporating the latest research findings, this book outlines:
- the functional requirements of buildings in tropical climates
- the challenges associated with the sustainability of the built environment, building form and whole life performance in the context of a tropical setting
- the impact of potentially hostile tropical conditions upon building pathology and the durability of components, structure and fabric
- the tasks which face those responsible for appraising the design, condition, maintenance and conservation of built heritage in tropical regions
- the facilities management issues faced in tropical climates
- and the refurbishment, upgrade and renewal of the tropical built environment
Each chapter incorporates reflective summaries and review tests and many chapters include case studies demonstrating how the principles discussed in the chapter can be applied to real life projects.
The book is ideal as a course text for students of Architecture, Construction, Surveying and FM as well as providing a sound reference for practitioners working in these regions.