product description page
Building Structures : Understanding the Basics (Hardcover) (Malcolm Millais)
About this item
This is a one-stop book for knowing everything important about building structures. Self-contained and with no prerequisites needed, it is suitable for both general readers and building professionals.
- follow the history of structural understanding;
- grasp the concepts of structural behaviour via step-by-step explanations;
- apply these concepts to a simple building;
- see how these concepts apply to real buildings, from Durham Cathedral to the Bank of China;
- use these concepts to define the design process;
- see how these concepts inform design choices;
- understand how engineering and architecture have diverged, and what effect this had;
- learn to do simple but relevant numerical calculations for actual structures;
- understand when dynamics are important;
- follow the development of progressive collapse prevention;
- enter the world of modern structural theory;
- see how computers can be used for structural analysis;
- learn how to organise and design a successful project.
With more than 500 pages and over 1100 user-friendly diagrams, this book is a must for anyone who would like to understand the fascinating world of structures.