product description page
Contemporary Spanish Politics - by Josu00e9 M. Magone (Paperback)
About this item
This fully revised and updated third edition reflects the considerable changes in Spain over the last decade as the country celebrates 40 years of its constitution. The author gives fresh insight into the formal and informal workings of this dynamic southern European democracy. Thoroughly examining Spain’s historical background, political culture, core political institutions and foreign policy-making, each chapter provides a research-based overview of the studied topic which can then be used as the basis for further research by students.
Key themes of the book include:
- A thorough overview of contemporary Spanish politics, especially the governments of Zapatero and Rajoy;
- Spain’s political culture and institutional framework;
- The Spanish economy, and the consequences of the economic and sovereign debt crisis;
- Foreign policy-making; the reaction to the global anti-terrorist coalition and the Madrid bombings;
- Policy-making process and the system of interest intermediation;
- Party system and electoral process;
- The dynamics of regional/territorial politics and the Basque, Catalan and Galician nationalisms, particularly the quest for Catalan independence;
- External relations with the European Union, the Mediterranean and Latin America;
- Constitutional reform;
Richly illustrated with maps and presenting large amounts of statistical and quantitative data, this book is an indispensable source of information for students, academics and the wider public interested in Spanish politics.