product description page
Criminal Procedure (Hardcover) (Erwin Chemerinsky & Laurie L. Levenson)
about this item
Written in a student-friendly manner, the third edition of Criminal Procedure eschews reliance on rhetorical questions and law review excerpts in favor of comprehensive exploration of black letter law and trendsetting policy issues. Authored by a pair of well-respected criminal and constitutional law scholars, Criminal Procedure utilizes a chronological approach that guides students through criminal procedure doctrine from rules governing law enforcement investigation to matters related to habeas corpus relief. In addition to presenting the perspectives from various stakeholders (i.e., defense attorneys, judges, prosecutors, and victims), the authors take care to provide students with useful, practice-oriented materials, including pleadings and motions papers. Criminal Procedure not only employs a systemic approach that takes students through issues from policy to application of legal doctrine, but also introduces issues at the forefront of modern criminal procedure debates.
- Straightforward writing style and dynamic text combined with clear and presenting thoughtfully edited principal and minor cases
- Intuitive chronological presentation of topics in an easy-to-understand approach from investigation to prosecution to post-conviction relief
- Systematic and cohesive exploration of policy on every issue, before moving on to the specifics of doctrine
- Useful examples for future and current criminal law practitioners
- Approachable organization based on common progression through criminal justice system
- Straight writing style that relies on cases and author essays rather than law review excerpts and strict Socratic rhetoric questions.
- Practice-oriented features, discussion of modern policy issues, useful example documents for practitioners.