product description page
Criminology and Criminal Justice : A Study Guide - by Peter Joyce (Paperback)
About this item
A broad and comprehensive guide to the study of criminology and criminal justice at undergraduate level, this book is essential reading for new students. Assuming no prior knowledge, it offers an essential overview to key themes and issues, brings together theory with practice, and provides useful hints and suggestions for developing the skills required to see you on your way throughout your degree.
Features of the book include:
- A detailed discussion of the study of criminology and criminal justice in Higher Education,
- An overview of theories of crime and deviance,
- A discussion as to why and how we punish offenders,
- An exploration of the criminal justice system in England and Wales,
- A guide to criminological research and the methods and concepts involved,
- Examples of original sources in criminology, including key websites,
- Tips and advice on skills in criminology and criminal justice, including referencing and the presentation of written work,
- A full glossary of key terms.
The new edition has been fully revised and updated and includes a new chapter on theories and explanations of punishment. Each chapter includes a series of ‘Taking It Further’ exercises to encourage well-developed essays and critical thinking. They culminate in a final chapter offering guidelines as to how these exercises might be answered. This book is indispensable for the criminology undergraduate and a benchmark for academic success.