product description page
Criminology : Connecting Theory, Research and Practice (Hardcover) (Aida Y. Hass & Chris Moloney &
About this item
Connections among theory, research, and practice are the heart and soul of criminology. This book offers a comprehensive and balanced introduction to criminology, demonstrating the value of understanding the relationships between criminological theory, research, and practice in the study of crime and criminal behavior. Utilising a range of case studies and thought-provoking features, it encourages students to think critically and provides a foundation for understanding criminology as a systematic, theoretically grounded science. It includes:
- A comprehensive overview of crime in American society, including the nature and meaning of crime and American criminal law as well as the scientific study of crime,
- A concise, straightforward, and practical approach to the study of the American criminal justice system and its various components, including individual chapters on police, courts, and corrections,
- An overview of criminological theory, including classical, biological, psychological and sociological approaches,
- A survey of typologies of criminological behavior including interpersonal violent crimes, property crime, public order crime, organized and white collar crime, state crime, environmental harm and cybercrime,
- Concluding thoughts exploring challenges facing criminal justice policy and the future of criminological theory.
This new edition has been thoroughly revised and updated and includes brand new chapters on corrections, courts, criminal law, law enforcement, and technology and cybercrime. It is packed with useful and instructive features such as themed boxed case studies in every chapter, critical thinking questions, lists of further reading, and links to e-resources. A companion website includes quizzes, powerpoint slides for lecturers, links to useful resources and chapter outlines.