product description page
Critical Thinking : The Basics (Paperback) (Stuart Hanscomb)
About this item
Critical Thinking: The Basics is an accessible and engaging introduction to the field of critical thinking, drawing on philosophy, communication and psychology. Emphasising its relevance to decision making (in personal, professional and civic life), academic literacy and personal development, this book supports the reader in understanding and developing the knowledge, skills and dispositions needed to identify poor reasoning, construct strong arguments, and engage constructively in dialogues.
Topics covered include:
- competing theories of the nature and purpose of critical thinking
- the relationship between critical thinking, emotions and the psychology of persuasion
- the role of character dispositions such as open-mindedness, courage and perseverance
- argument identification, reconstruction and construction
- fallacies and argument evaluation.
With discussion questions/exercises and suggestions for further reading at the end of each chapter, along with a comprehensive glossary of terms and information on learning resources, this book is an essential read for students approaching the field of critical thinking for the first time, and for the general reader wanting to improving their thinking skills and decision making abilities.