product description page
Cultural Studies : Theory and Practice (Paperback) (Chris Barker & Emma A. Jane)
about this item
"This book presents a magisterial overview of Cultural Studies, and of studies of culture more broadly. It synthesizes a bewildering range of writers and ideas into a comprehensible narrative. It’s respectful to the history of ideas and completely cutting edge. I learned a lot – you will too."
- Professor Alan McKee, University of Technology Sydney
"The role of culture in spatial, digital and political settings is a vital aspect of contemporary life. Barker and Jane provide an excellent introduction to Cultural Studies’ relationship to these core issues, both through a clear explanation of key concepts and thinkers, alongside well chosen examples and essential questions."
- Dr David O'Brien, Goldsmiths, University of London
With over 40,000 copies sold, Cultural Studies: Theory and Practice has been the indispensable guide to studying culture for generations of students. Here is everything students need to know, with all the key concepts, theories and thinkers in one comprehensive, authoritative yet accessible resource.
Teaching students the foundations of cultural studies - from ideology, representation and discourse to audiences, subcultures and cultural policy - this revised edition:
- Fully explores the ubiquity of digital media culture, helping readers analyse issues surrounding social media, surveillance, cyber-activism and more
- Introduces students to all the key thinkers they’ll encounter, from Stuart Hall and Michel Foucault to Judith Butler and Donna Haraway
- Balances the classics with cutting edge theory, including case studies on e-commerce, the self-help industry, the ****** debate, and representations of race
- Embraces popular culture in all of its diversity, from drag kings and gaming, to anime fandom and remix cultures
- Is re-written throughout with a new co-author, making it a more enjoyable read than ever.
Unmatched in coverage and used world-wide, this is the essential companion for all students of cultural studies, culture and society, media and cultural theory, popular culture and cultural sociology.