product description page
Design and Technology - by Louise T. Davies (Hardcover)
About this item
The SEND Code of Practice (2015) reinforced the requirement that all teachers must meet the needs of all learners. This topical book provides practical, tried-and-tested strategies and resources that will support teachers in making design and technology lessons accessible and interesting for all pupils, including those with special educational needs. The author draws on a wealth of experience to share her understanding of special educational needs and disabilities and show how the design and technology teacher can reduce or remove any barriers to learning.
Offering strategies that are specific to the context of design and technology teaching, this book will enable teachers to:
- better identify a student’s particular learning requirements;
- set inclusive design and making assignments which allow all students to participate and succeed;
- build students’ confidence in using a range of materials and tools;
- assist with design tasks where pupils take ownership of their work and learning;
- adapt the classroom environment to meet the needs of pupils;
- create a mutually supportive classroom which maximises learning opportunities.
An invaluable tool for continuing professional development, this text will be essential for design and technology teachers (and their teaching assistants) seeking to include and motivate all pupils in their lessons, regardless of their individual needs. This book will also be of interest to secondary SENCOs, senior management teams and ITT providers.
In addition to free online resources, a range of appendices provide design and technology teachers with a variety of pro forma and activity sheets to support effective teaching. This is an essential tool for design and technology teachers and teaching assistants, and will help to deliver successful, inclusive lessons for all pupils.