product description page
Early Childhood Playgrounds : Planning an Outside Learning Environment (Hardcover) (Prue Walsh)
About this item
The outdoor play area in an early years or primary setting has an integral role to play in a child’s learning. An outside space that is well designed allows for enriching, stimulating and challenging play experiences that meet children’s developmental needs. Early Childhood Playgrounds provides a step-by-step guide to planning, designing and creating an outdoor learning environment for young children.
Written by an experienced practitioner that has consulted on over 1800 early childhood settings and schools internationally, the book considers all aspects of the outdoor learning environment and provides practical support on:
- planning procedures and ideas for designs;
- creating different areas such as a quiet area, sandpits, water play, gardens and an active area;
- spaces for toddlers and babies;
- playground needs for children with additional needs;
- appropriate equipment, resources and storage.
This book will be fascinating reading for those studying early childhood and practitioners looking to set up, improve or expand their outdoor play facilities, as well as architects and planning professionals.