product description page
Elder Abuse and the Public's Health - (Paperback)
about this item
Presents an insightful, interdisciplinary approach for preventing elder mistreatment
Encompassing the contributions of leading scholars in public health and gerontology, this is a rich repository of key ideas, concepts and issues regarding elder mistreatment and the role of public health initiatives in its prevention. The text frames elder mistreatment as a public health problem, stressing that efforts toward prevention is well within the scope of work performed by public health professionals. It describes major public policy/public health initiatives as they relate to elder mistreatment, analyzes elder mistreatment as a global and human rights issue, and supports the development of core competencies for public health work to prevent elder mistreatment.
The text describes in detail major theoretical and applied issues within elder mistreatment and grounds these issues within the core functions and essential services of public health. It then addresses skill development using the core competencies for public health professionals. The book is the first to tie the core functions and essential public health services to core public health competency domains and creates a topic-specific framework for effective public health practice. An annotated section includes the most up-to-date resources for both public health and elder mistreatment, including toolkits, stakeholder lists, and references. A discussion of future directions for the field sets the agenda for a committed interdisciplinary approach to ameliorating and preventing elder mistreatment.
- Grounds elder mistreatment prevention within the core functions and essential services of public health
- Provides a storehouse of scientific and practical information on elder mistreatment
- Stresses skill development using core competencies for public health professionals
- Encompasses the contributions of outstanding leaders in public health and gerontology
- Includes news stories, illustrative case examples, resources, blogs, and webinars