product description page
Engineering Ethics : Challenges and Opportunities (Reprint) (Paperback) (W. Richard Bowen)
about this item
Engineering Ethics: Challenges and Opportunities aims to set a new agenda for the engineering profession by developing a key challenge: can the great technical innovation of engineering be matched by a corresponding innovation in the acceptance and expression of ethical responsibility? Central features of this stimulating text include:
· An analysis of engineering as a technical and ethical practice providing great opportunities for promoting the wellbeing and agency of individuals and communities.
· Elucidation of the ethical opportunities of engineering in three key areas:
Engineering for Peace, emphasising practical amelioration of the root causes of conflict rather than military solutions.
Engineering for Health, focusing on close collaboration with healthcare professionals for both the promotion and restoration of health.
Engineering for Development, providing effective solutions for the reduction of extreme poverty.
· Innovative strategies for implementing these ethical opportunities are described:
Emphasis on the personal responsibility of every engineer and on the benefits of supporting social structures.
Use of language and concepts that are appealing to business managers and political decision makers.
· Future prospects for increasing the acceptance and expression of ethical responsibility by engineers are envisaged.
· Engineering Ethics: Challenges and Opportunities provides engineers, decision makers and the wider public with new understanding of the potential of engineering for the promotion of human flourishing.