product description page
English for Presentations at International Conferences (Paperback) (Adrian Wallwork)
about this item
Good presentation skills are key to a successful career in academia. This guide provides examples taken from real presentations given both by native and non-native academics covering a wide variety of disciplines.
The easy-to-follow guidelines and tips will teach you how to:
- plan, prepare and practice a well-organized, interesting presentation
- avoid errors in English by using short easy-to-say sentences
- improve your English pronunciation and intonation
- gain confidence, and overcome nerves and embarrassment
- highlight the essential points you want your audience to remember
- attract and retain audience attention
- deal with questions from the audience
This new edition contains several additional features, including stimulating factoids and discussion points both for self-study and in-class use. New chapters also cover:
- learning from talks on TED
- networking with potential collaborators, professors, fellow researchers
- interacting successfully with non-native audiences
EAP teachers will find this book to be a great source of tips for training students, and for preparing both instructive and entertaining lessons.Other books in the series cover: writing research papers; English grammar, usage, and style; academic correspondence; interacting on campus; plus exercises books and a teacher's guide.
Please visit http://www.springer.com/series/13913 for a full list of titles in the series.
Adrian Wallwork is the author of more than 30 ELT and EAP textbooks. He has trained several thousand PhD students and academics from 35 countries to prepare and give presentations.
Genre: Language + Art + Disciplines, Education
Sub-Genre: General, Language Experience Approach
Series Title: English for Academic Research
Publisher: Springer Verlag
Author: Adrian Wallwork
Street Date: March 15, 2016
Item Number (DPCI): 248-14-7292