About this item
Perplexed by prepositions? Stymied by semicolons? Solve the puzzle of good grammar.
A quick reference for people with grammar questions and an excellent primer for anyone learning the basics, Essentials of English Grammar features a glossary of grammar terms and updated coverage of stylistic conventions.
Easy-to-follow examples guide you through the rules for parts of speech, punctuation, capitalization, spelling, frequently confused words, and much more. Also included are important style tips on how to write with economy, clarity, and accuracy.
An indispensable, easy-to-use reference to the English language, Essentials of English Grammar includes information on:
- Parts of speech and their functions
- Pronoun-antecedent agreement
- Common errors in using verb tenses
- Correct use of punctuation and punctuation style
- Sentence constructions
- Errors to avoid with prepositions
- Spelling and word division
- Correct use of capitalization, abbreviations, and numbers
- Effective sentence patterns
- Brevity in writing
- Using words that are specific and concrete for clarity
- Achieving accuracy
- Salutations and titles
- Gender-inclusive language
- Principal parts of irregular verbs
- Verb-preposition combinations
- Frequently confused words
- Frequently misspelled words